THE GUBBIO PROJECT'S MISSION:
To be in community with and to provide a sacred space and sanctuary for unhoused people in need of safe, compassionate respite during the day.
THE GUBBIO PROJECT'S VISION:
A community where everyone has a safe and sacred space to rest and be.
THE GUBBIO PROJECT'S GUIDING PRINCIPLES:
- All people, especially those who are living on the streets or have mental health or substance abuse issues, are worthy of respect, dignity, and loving kindness.
- The Church has historically been an open space of sanctuary and shelter for those seeking shelter.
- While the Gubbio Project’s specific activities might change over time, our mission to provide a sacred space and care services for those in need of a safe, compassionate respite that places dignity and respect in the highest regard will not change.
- The Gubbio Project is on the front lines of homelessness, and addresses basic needs of all people: a sense of safety, belonging, and calm.
- Compassion is a covenant between equals; not a relationship between healer and wounded. Allowing all to rest in peace brings dignity to us all.
- The Gubbio Project is unconditioned giving: one doesn’t have to be “good,” one doesn’t have to be “productive,” and one doesn’t even have to be “nice.” Everyone is welcome.
- The Gubbio Project works to nurture a sense of understanding and shared responsibility in the broader church, school, and neighborhood communities.
- The Gubbio Project’s homeless guests are served best by staff and volunteers who have a firsthand understanding of their struggles.